Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I Just Don't Get...

Why people are so fascinated by home improvement shows. This evening I had to go for yet another CT scan (brain)* and the waiting room television had on HGTV or some such show. Since I had to cool my heels for nearly an hour after I had to scan, I had to sit through a couple of shows. The first one was where this couple was doing stuff to their house and the first thing I would have said was that their biggest problem was painting the walls a really bright gold color. Yikes! Then the decorator was having them make pictures of old buttons to hang up. On the next show this woman had bought this beach house but the inside was all dark wood, which did not express fully her "forty-ish and fabulous" outlook so they had to paint everything white and add lots of pink. Yikes! The third show was...I don't know because I managed to tune it out by then.
It was so mind numbing! And I wanted to ask who paid for all of the work and fancy furnishings, and to say that the "after" shots were all fine and dandy, but there was no "lived-in" look to them. Now, my apartment has too much lived-in look, I will admit. But all of the chattering about using burlap for curtains and this color and so on...It is just not that interesting! I cannot get excited about someone else's house or, more to the point, all of the excruciating details of how it got that way. I was almost glad the last time I was there I was too out of it to be annoyed.

*I really should have some kind of "get 4 get one free" deal.

No comments: