Friday, March 27, 2009

R.I.P. Dan Seals

It often seems to me that people I like die more often (or, I guess I should say, sooner) than people who annoy me. For example, when Heath Ledger died I could easily think of five celebrities who I could easily have done without. This week I read that one of my favorite singers, Dan Seals, died at 61 of cancer. It really was a blow.

While I heard a lot of country music growing up, though I didn't realize it was country at the time, the first country I heard as an "adult" was Dan Seals. It was during the horrible summer of 1988 and the jukebox where I worked had a combination of country, rock and pop selections. There are certain songs ("Superwoman" by Karyn White, "The Flame" by Cheap Trick) that bring me right back to that time when I hear them, and "Bop" by Dan Seals was a song that I just heard and it made me chuckle. Which was no mean feat back then!!! It seemed to be a simple song about simple pleasures, and of course one realizes over time that they are seldom as simple or easy to come to by as one might think.

Years later, when I was miserable and living in Ohio (oops, that was redundant) I happened to hear "Bop" on a supermarket music system and for the first time in awhile, it made me smile. It took me awhile but I tracked down the song and soon got a Greatest Hits album. This cd was practically my lifeline over the next few years as I started to suffer migraines. To alleviate the symptoms and help the medication to work I would lie down and try to relax. Somehow listening to that album helped me, over and over. What a sweet voice he had. I think he and Vince Gill will be performing in the afterlife if there is one. At least I hope so.

Aside from that, some of the songs he did were just plain great. "All that Glitters" stayed with me for years; the story of a man and his daughter, traveling the rodeo circuit, who were left behind by a woman with sequined dreams. "The crowd may always love you...but as for me, I've come to know/ that not everything that glitters/is not gold." It's a sad but potent jibe.

"Water Under the Bridge." Meeting up with the love of his life, saying goodbye with a brave face...How aching! Dan Seals did aching and ning the best. "It's water under the bridge/tears that I've already cried...a river that never ran dry." Seriously! I felt like he is singing right to me because he knows what I've been through. Sometimes you do feel that your tears could fill a river unceasing.

I could go on for hours. I think one of the most beautiful of beautiful songs is "One Friend." It is succinct yet says it all, in the category of "how I feel about someone" rather than a story song. I've always longed to be able to have someone I could play it for. To be accurate, there was such a person but I never got the opportunity. "When we were together, it made the dream come true/if I had only one friend left/I'd want it to be you." It is so perfect for Seals' voice, or Seals' voice is perfect for the song.

So Rest in Peace, Dan Seals, and thank you.

1 comment:

PeggySue said...

Dan loved everyone. He would meet someone just one time...and if he met them again; he would say hello and the name. He spoke with such warmth and sincerity. It was amazing how he could make anyone feel like they were the celebrity. My family will miss him so much. He has done so much for so many people. I know that he has a wonderful place in heaven. He called me the "cowgirl" when I was a kid every time that he saw me. His caring smile will always be engraved in my mind.