Sunday, October 28, 2007

Kel's Dream World, Part 1

Kel's Dream World is a series in which I describe how I think things could be improved in a variety of areas.


One thing I dislike greatly is change. Anyone who knows me (and pays attention) will know this.

Something which aggravates me is when a channel starts up and loses its...raison d'etre, for lack of a better description. The most obvious example is MTV. I remember when it first came out, only rich kids had MTV and HBO. MTV was all videos. If you weren't rich, you had "Friday Night Videos," but there was always a smarmy host and lots of commercials. Back then we were all still learning how to work VCRs, so making a mix-VHS of your favorite videos was not really an option. You would have to sit through forty minutes of some band you didn't like in order to catch the one you did like, which was always at the very end and half the time had credits rolling over it. By then it was 130am, so you were a bit cranky or drunk by then.

But it is not MTV which has me annoyed here. It is Comedy Central. While they do seem to air "comedy" programming (though how many times anyone can find "Saving Silverman" or "Joe Dirt" funny is up for debate) in the literal sense, it is very difficult to find any stand- up comedy. Maybe some Premium Blend is on once in awhile. I would LOVE a channel where I could sit and watch Dane Cook, Jeff Foxworthy, Jim Gaffigan all day,maybe see someone new for the first time. No movies, no cartoons. Just stand up. Low overhead- how much can it cost to produce that? I would keep that channel on constantly.

In a similar vein is CMT. It is as if the crabby man of the house has decided that there won't be any more girly crap videos on his TV and instead we will watch bull riding and country themed reality shows and we will like it. The lady is to be appeased with the Top 20 countdown. Wow, how generous. How they decide the top 20 out of maybe the 25 videos they show is beyond my ken.

Next in "Dreamworld" : I rail against "healthy," and-- what I will describe as-- 'exotic' foods at fast food restaurants.

No comments: