Wednesday, April 8, 2009

"House"

So awhile ago, someone with similar tastes to mine raved about this show "House" which I had heard of but never seen. First, it is a medical show, which I like only slightly better than cop shows, and secondly I usually avoid anything that popular just on principle. I watched an episode or two and decided that it was entertaining. My main issue, such as it was, against the show was that I felt intense jealousy that I can't as open with my sentiments at work and elsewhere as the title character is. Not and keep my job, that is.

I watched the first season on DVD and enjoyed the twists, which reminded me of those on "Law and Order: SVU." I did find that it was rather predictable after awhile, but because of the character study I wasn't bothered by the consistent arc of the show. I also try to put aside how the show feeds my fear about having some bizarre illness which no one can figure out (a well justified fear given some of my past medical issues).

I have watched just a few episodes from this current season, mainly because it is on opposite "The Big Bang Theory,"which is my favorite show and also because of being estranged from the person who recommended it to me in the first place. This latest episode had the usual mystery illness(es) but also a big shocker in that one of House's staff is found after committing suicide. Every one is shocked! No one saw it coming! People cannot believe that there were "no signs." I don't know why there is this, for a lack of a better word or two, imposed naievete about potential and realized suicides.

I think that if a person is that steeped in misery or that filled with emptiness, they are not going to exhibit any of the traditional warning signs or ask for help because if they felt as if any one could make a difference (or maybe more importantly, would make a difference) they would not be so miserable in the first place. I think when you reach that point, I believe you feel as if there is no reason to even discuss your state of mind because you have felt that way for so long that there is no hope that anything is going to change it. Or the situation that would make life worth living is so unlikely to occur that it is totally infeasible and maybe even itself a trigger to feel that way. I think someone who gets to that point often has truly given up on hope of things improving, and I think that the very lack of hope might be such a...taunting condition that itself causes the feeling of just wanting to stop feeling that. I think that there are things that happen to people that either can't get fixed or don't get fixed, whether it is chronic physical pain, chronic emotional pain, financial issues, for example. There isn't always a happy or even neutral ending.

But what do I know?

No comments: