Saturday, April 18, 2009

Too old? Technology and Movie Moods

This past week, through a series of odd circumstances, I had my first dealings with Facebook. Obviously I had heard of it, but I had never gone on it or even looked at it. I'm not the most social-able of people, and I figure if someone wants to get ahold of me they can email me or call my cell. Also, I spend all day on a computer at work so I really don't excited about the idea of coming home to interact with people on the computer even more.

So I reluctantly and sceptically signed on and was almost immediately...what's the word? Perplexed. It seems that one can do a kind of IM on it as well as a bulletin board style interaction. Well, this isn't my first rodeo when it comes to IM'ing, so I was very, very hesitant to get involved with anything that could involve my blurting out things in a written form that I can't easily take back when I think better of it. I found too that it seems like there are lots of things you can do as far as hooking it to other things like pictures and websites and stuff. Since that seems to involve reading instructions, I am not sure that is for me.

Ultimately I think the fault lies not in Facebook but in me. Anyone who wants to reach me knows how, anyone who doesn't want to reach me but just find out about me is not really someone really think needs to know what I am up to.

Or maybe I am just in the midst of my usual April grumps. Seems like every year, or most years, something goes awry in April, a phenomenon noticed since the early 1980s. "April is the cruellest month," said Eliot, and I think he knew what he was talking about. For one thing there is the false promise of spring, with its "new beginnings" and sprouting buds and whatnot. It'll all just wither away eventually.

I have also taken to describing my moods in terms of Star Wars movies. When I am really down, I am in an "Empire Strikes Back" mood, whereas if I am feeling really hopeful (very rare) and content, it is a "New Hope" mood. If I am feeling content but still slightly wistful and world-weary, that is a "Return of the Jedi" mood. If, as has been the case much recently, I am in a lot of pain and also depressed, that is definitely a "Revenge of the Sith" mood.

No comments: