Wednesday, December 17, 2008

New Project

Not much has been going on lately-working, coming home, going back to work. This past weekend, though, I did get a jump on a project I had been wanted to work on for a few months. About 11 years ago, I wrote my memoirs, which took slightly less than a year. It was my first major writing in about eight years. It did not get the reception that I had wished for, and with other life events, I was put off writing for quite awhile. I wanted to revisit this work for the last year, and had to get through some technical hurdles.

The original work was on an iMac using Write Now, a problem which is not compatible with OS X and above. Not really a problem until the iMac got old and the cd-rom drive died before I could back it up onto cd. I had backed it up on superdisc files, thank goodness. When I first got my current iMac in 2003, I was dismayed to realize eventually that I could not seem to get the Superdisc drive to run with it so my thought was to network the old and new iMacs. Last year I got a "new" old iMac (3rd generation rather than 1st) to hook the Superdisc up to and then I would network it over to the current iMac. Except that --I can't remember. Long story short, I tried again and was able to get the Superdisc drive to talk to the current iMac and I transferred the files over to it. The only (and this is surmountable though cumbersome) problem is thta I had to convert everything from WriteNow via TextEdit, which has shuffled the paragraphs.

The good thing is that despite my currently crappy memory, when it comes to my own writing, I have a pretty good sense of it and what order things should be in. But this could take awhile!

No comments: